Personal Support Workers
Due to the wide range of special conditions, illnesses and disabilities, specialized staff training, programming and infrastructure is required and camper-to-counselor ratios are at a minimum of 3:1. Zajac Ranch for Children has a limited number of Personal Support Workers (PSWs) to provide 1:1 support.
A family appointed PSW may attend camp with your child. There is no registration fee for family appointed PSWs.
Please Note: Campers Who Do Not Sleep Well – The PSW and the camper will be asked to sleep upstairs in a private or semi-private room at the additional cost of $40 per night ($20 for the campers + $20 for the PSW).
For campers who will be providing their own PSW please complete the Personal Support Worker Application. PSWs must be 19+, be familiar with the assigned camper’s medical needs, and submit a valid Canadian Criminal Record Check (dated within 6 months of camp start date) with PSW paperwork. No exceptions will be made.
The application includes a link for volunteer PSWs to complete the required CRC request online via the BC Ministry of Justice providing the following guidelines are met:
- Individuals must have a minimum Canadian credit history of at least six months.
- Individuals must have been residing in Canada for two years or longer.
- Individuals must correctly answer a set of security questions unique to their personal credit history.
- Must have a current Canadian address.
Applications will be numbered as received with first-round approvals mid-March.
To better understand onsite expectations of family appointed PSWs, please refer to our above Personal Support Worker Expectations Guide (see sidebar).
Personal Support Worker FAQs
What is Zajac Ranch’s 1:1 Personal Support Worker Policy?
Zajac Ranch for Children has a limited number of Personal Support Workers (PSWs) to provide 1:1 support (1 PSW per camp). Zajac Ranch’s PSWs are assigned to campers based upon:
- Whether or not this is the camper’s first time attending Zajac Ranch for Children;
- Whether or not the camper was assigned a Zajac Ranch PSW in the previous year; and
- The camper’s need for a Zajac Ranch 1:1 Personal Support Worker.
For those that have had a PSW during their previous attendance at Zajac Ranch and are unable to provide their own Personal Support Worker, your application will be placed on hold until three weeks prior to the camp start date and Zajac Ranch’s Nursing Director will review PSW assignments at that point.