Personal Support Workers
Due to the wide range of special conditions, illnesses and disabilities, specialized staff training, programming and infrastructure is required and camper-to-counselor ratios are at a minimum of 3:1. Zajac Ranch for Children has a limited number of Personal Support Workers (PSWs) to provide 1:1 support.
A family appointed PSW may attend camp with your child. There is no registration fee for family appointed PSWs.
Please Note: Campers Who Do Not Sleep Well – The PSW and the camper will be asked to sleep upstairs in a private or semi-private room at the additional cost of $40 per night ($20 for the campers + $20 for the PSW).
For campers who will be providing their own PSW please complete the Personal Support Worker Application. PSWs must be 19+, be familiar with the assigned camper’s medical needs, and submit a valid Canadian Criminal Record Check (dated within 6 months of camp start date) with PSW paperwork. No exceptions will be made.
The application includes a link for volunteer PSWs to complete the required CRC request online via the BC Ministry of Justice providing the following guidelines are met:
- Individuals must have a minimum Canadian credit history of at least six months.
- Individuals must have been residing in Canada for two years or longer.
- Individuals must correctly answer a set of security questions unique to their personal credit history.
- Must have a current Canadian address.
Applications will be numbered as received with first-round approvals mid-March.
To better understand onsite expectations of family appointed PSWs, please refer to our Personal Support Worker Expectations Guide (see FAQ).
Frequently Asked Questions:
As a PSW at Zajac Ranch, it is expected that you meet the specific medical and personal individual needs of your camper as well as facilitate and encourage the participation in all aspects of camp life. The following list should illustrate expectations and recommendations to assist you throughout your camp week at the ranch.
- Overall responsibility for each cabin group, of which your camper is assigned to,
lies with the Zajac Ranch counsellors. Please be as helpful as possible to the Zajac
Ranch staff. Please let a member of the Support Staff know if you have any
questions or concerns during your time with us.
- If you have a private or semi-private room in the upstairs of a dorm, please make
sure your room is unlocked before you leave each time in order to avoid locking
yourself out. Should this happen let one of the Zajac staff members know and
they can have the room re-opened for you.
- Cell phones and other electronics are only to be used when there are no campers
around. They should only be used in the designated areas. Please speak to our
Camp Director if this applies to you.
- Smoking is only permitted in the designated smoking area. Please speak to our
Camp Director if this applies to you.
- In case of an emergency, members of Support Staff are available by radio or by
phone at any time of day or night. If you are unsure, members of your
counselling team will know who is on call and how to reach him/her, if
- Phones are available for use in the office, the medical centre, and the dining hall
in case of emergency. Please ask a staff member if you require use of one of
- The dining hall is the only place where food should be consumed unless it is part
of a program (i.e., popcorn at movie night, Jello for Zeyo)
- If you require a break outside of night time watch, please communicate this with
the cabin counsellors to ensure your 1:1 is being supervised. Breaks should be
brief and only taken when appropriate.
- The counselling team should be aware of where you are at all times
Yes, RCMP will waive the CRC fee for volunteers. instructions are included on the PSW application.
If providing your own Personal Support Worker – please fill out our Personal Support Worker form and attach a Criminal Record Check dated no later than one year from camp start date.
Personal Support Workers supplied by a family must be older than 19 years of age at camp start date.
Zajac Ranch for Children has a limited number of Personal Support Workers (PSWs) to provide 1:1 support (1 PSW per camp). Zajac Ranch’s PSWs are assigned to campers based upon:
- Whether or not this is the camper’s first time attending Zajac Ranch for Children;
- Whether or not the camper was assigned a Zajac Ranch PSW in the previous year; and
- The camper’s need for a Zajac Ranch 1:1 Personal Support Worker.
For those that have had a PSW during their previous attendance at Zajac Ranch and are unable to provide their own Personal Support Worker, your application will be placed on hold until three weeks prior to the camp start date and Zajac Ranch’s Nursing Director will review PSW assignments at that point.