Here are the basic instructions on how to make a camp lantern. (Credit: Barley & Birch)
- 1 Plastic peanut butter jar (with lid)
- A plastic bowl
- Craft or spray paint (make sure it’s something that sticks to plastic)
- 14″ (roughly) piece of 1/4″ cotton rope, wide ribbon or similar.
- A flameless tea light
- A small velcro dot
FOR THE INNER LINER:
- Colorful tissue paper
- A large piece of wax or parchment paper (for a large peanut butter jar I used 11″ x 6.25″)
- A glue stick
- Paint a plastic bowl and peanut butter jar lid - To prep, you can paint your plastic bowl and the lid of your peanut butter jar a fun color. Let dry thoroughly and set to the side.
- Cut a hole through the bottom of a clear plastic peanut butter jar and thread with cotton roping or ribbon - Cut a small (1/4″) hole in the center of the bottom of the peanut butter jar. This is actually going to turn into the top of your lantern. Tie a knot at each end of your cotton roping or wide ribbon. Starting from the inside of your jar, push the center of your rope through the hole. From the outside, pull the center out and pull up to create a handle.
- Cut a hole in the bottom of the plastic bowl and thread the roping through to create a cover for the top of the lantern - Cut a small hole in the center of the bottom of your plastic bowl. With your bowl bottom-side up, push the handle up through the hole and pull the bull down so it covers your peanut butter jar – now your lantern has a cover!
- Add a small square of velcro to the inside of the peanut butter jar lid to keep your flameless tea light in place - Grab the lid of your jar and a flameless tea light. Put one side of a velcro dot on the bottom of your flameless light and the other in the middle of your jar lid. Now when you want to light up your lantern, you can turn you lea light on, stick it to velcro, screw the lid onto the bottom of your lantern and you’re ready to roll!
At this point, your lantern is ready to use, but you can light up with bright and colorful patterns, with a few extra steps…
- Fold a large square of parchment paper in half to line the inside of your lantern - To create the colorful liner, start by doubling up a piece of parchment paper (2 layers make it a little stiffer so it will hold its shape in the jar and stand up straight). Measure the height and lid diameter of your peanut butter jar and cut your parchment paper so it will fit inside.
- Cut or tear pieces of colorful tissue paper to decorate your liner - Once your parchment paper has been cut to size, start cutting tissue paper into fun shapes – they can be geometric, organic – anything you prefer! You could also use stamps, draw with crayons, decorate with stickers or glue on leaves to decorate your liner.
- Glue the tissue pieces to the parchment to create a fun composition - Use a glue stick to glue down the pieces of tissue paper to make a fun composition. When you’ve finished, roll the parchment liner up and slide it into your peanut butter jar. Screw the lid on and you’re done!